Textile Design in Singapore?


As I do my daily blog readings, I found Selvedge on Karin's Style Blog, announcing the Selvedge's special offer. It's a textile design magazine, something that I can't find here. In fact, I've been searching for any textile design courses in Singapore for the past 2 years, but none exists. Until last November, I read news on URBAN that LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts will launch Fashion Institute of Singapore within the first quarter of 2006, and it will offer new degree programmes, one of them is Fashion Textiles. NOT that I'm planning to take another degree, but I'm so fascinated with all these textile design graduates making names both in interior and fashion, ranging from wallpapers, curtains, upholsteries, rugs, tablewares, arts, crafts, bedlinens, to apparels, and their creations are everywhere! You see them at retail shops, houses, restaurants, pubs, hospitality industries, and the list goes on. I'm so excited with the opening of Fashion Institute of Singapore . I've been waiting for the days when Singapore produces its very own textile designers. Well, enough said.

Anyway, fellow readers at Karin's Style Blog were raving about Selvedge, claiming that they are renewing their subscriptions with the magazine. And Karin convinced me to introduce Selvedge to iG readers, here's what she says about the magazine, "it's a balance of serious and fun, crafts and design with a strong textile base, and also branching out to accesories". So folks, if you really want to try it out, I'd suggest buying a copy of Selvedge back issues first, before you commit on subscribing it. A single copy of Selvedge back issues costs 15 GBP to Singapore.

Oh yeah, don't forget to check out their online bookshop, too. They have books produced by publishers, such as Telos, Thames and Hudson, Yale University Press, V & A, and more.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis